You may not see the dangers of your homes for now because everything seems to be in a good condition. However, when you are living in a 50-year old home or have purchased one with heavy staging, there are certain things you should be watching out for. One of which is the existence of asbestos and lead.

For modern homes, this may not be much of a problem. Nowadays, people are more aware of the dangers it can bring. Moreover, the government has prohibited its use for construction.

The use of asbestos and lead has been part of the older homes. Back then, it did not pose any threats. However, there will be time when these two can become hazardous to health.

Here are the things that you should know about them.


This is mineral fiber used to create materials that have good insulation and are fire-resistant. They are known to be part of homes built back in 1930's to 1950's as part of insulation. However, they may also be used as part of the roofing and siding of a house. Some appliances also contain asbestos compounds like old stove tops.

If an area of ​​a home or an appliance made of asbestos is damaged, the fibers can be released into the air. This causes homeowners to inhale the material easily.

One thing you should know, asbestos are dangerous. Studies have shown that it can lead to lung cancer, mesothelioma and asbestosis. This is brought about from inhaling the fibers.

If you are buying an old home or if you are currently living in one, check it and identify materials that contain asbestos. If you can not identify them, it is best you hire a professional to inspect your homes for it. If you have identified one that has been damaged, do not fix the item yourself or you may aggravate the destruction causing rampant release of fibers. It is best for these matters to be handled by a professional.


This metal was popular back then as it was integrated in home construction. It can be contained in plumbing systems. However, it was heavily identified with paintings. Back then, homes were painted with lead-based paints. Occasionally, the use of this was banned because it was found out to be toxic.

Materials made of lead do not become a hazard without it begins to wear out. When they start chipping off or peeling, pieces or dusts of the paint can fall on the ground and can end up in the hands of your kids. Dust can be inhaled too. When they enter the human system, it can pose great health threats.

If lead is circulated in the body, it could lead to various problems like brain damage or hearing impairment. It can also lead to various nerve disorders and can degrade the reproductive system for both adult male and female.

If ever you suspect these materials in your home, have them inspected. Do not wait for these things to break down before you have them fixed. Invest on renovations before you end-up spending for medical treatments caused by these two.